Saturday, October 17, 2015

One day, one step, at a time

I did it.  I joined weight watchers.  So far is basically a simplified calorie counter but the site has a bunch of cool info and blogs and things so I may stick there for a bit.

Now, why join weight watchers when I just told yall that I don't want to focus on weight loss but building muscles and health?

Because I have to start somewhere.  I know it's kind of counter intuitive to work on cutting caloric intake when weight lifters eat a lot.  Like A LOT.  But I'm not a weight lifter, yet.  Weights and equipment are expensive and I have only a few dumbells to work with at this point so I'll work on trimming down and slowly incorporate weight training as I go along.  It will change my eating pattern so I'll have to figure that out when I get there.  That's still my ultimate goal.

In other news, it's such a nice day outside I decided to gp for a walk.  Wanted to try out my knee and get as much work out of it as I can until the surgery puts me out of commission.  I took my dog, Elliott with me, because, let's face it, he's kinda fat too.

I found a pretty cool workout app on my phone, it just comes with the phone, way to go android.  Anyway, it's got options like light walk, brisk walk, jog, etc etc.  I chose light walk, how could it be.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that it was harder than I thought.  I used to run 3-4 miles a day and now I can barely walk 2 in 30 minutes. (1.7 to be exact, but my route didn't take me back home straight away so I had to finish it out) 

Am I frustrated and angry with myself?

Nope, as a matter of fact I found my self smiling away during the last leg of my walk.  My knee held out, doesn't even hurt really, the walk was nice, a little hard, but it's the first one so I know it'll get better.  I realized that parts of my neighborhood are beautiful this time of year, the leaves changing, the weather was so nice.  Even though I was breathing hard, sweating, and getting tired, I still outlasted Elliott, who slowed down significantly halfway through. Despite the slow pace and the trouble I had JUST WALKING, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was quiet and relaxing and gave me time to just chill and think.

I will never discount a good walk again.

The one problem I have discovered with being hooked up with weight watchers is, for obvious reasons, it is based on weigh ins. 

I don't have a scale......

Do I buy a decent scale or check in periodically on an outsourced scale?

I dunno.  Oh well, one more thing to figure out as I go

No comments:

Post a Comment