Thursday, October 8, 2015

Diet v. Lifestyle

I've been doing a lot of reading lately.  I mean, it's my one strength, and my knee is busted anyhow so why not get my learn on.

My wonderful friend Deb turned me on to the idea of not dieting, and not changing my food choices but changing the way I think about food.  She sent me links to some blogs and some other articles and I'm really feeling it.

I always wondered how someone could be overweight but still totally happy and rock it.  I thought I would never understand, but I think I'm starting to get it. (Not that I think I'll ever be happy being this big, but my weight shouldn't impact my happiness)  I think I'm concentrating on the wrong things.  I need to stop before I mindlessly eat and try to figure out why I am mindlessly eating this particular item.  Why am I still eating even though I want to burst.  Do I really want candy or do I want the comfort it brings, it being an old friend.

Do I really want to lose weight or do I just want to enjoy my life?  Am I sure being thin will equal being content? 

The answer is I don't know.  I honestly have no idea.  So, I think I'm going to obsess less over how I look, and what I eat and totally reassess my life. 

Can I have cereal for dinner?  Hell yes.

Maybe I need to focus more on enjoying and less on cleaning my plate.  I think that's a start.  I don't know where this will lead and honestly I'm just winging it, but I'm not quitting until I'm happy, no matter what it is that causes it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I was so blown away by this! It is the only way to go- no more fighting everything in life. It is just so much good. I am so glad that this spoke to you, I am here if you ever need a positive word of encouragement. Just don't give up, keep reading and if you like to write, writing was the way I exorcised a lot of demons, and I continue to do so. Life certainly has its ups and downs, and it still does when you stop fighting food and your body. But you don't end up eating until you want to explode and still don't feel better. Food doesn't fill the needs we have. Rock on with your awesome self, Molly

    ReplyDelete