Saturday, February 4, 2012

A New Beginning

I have been "starting over" for well over a year now.  It seems I am finally to a place where I feel like I am making progress.   In the last year, I have moved two states away, given up and found a job, changed houses at least twice, lost a dog, gained a puppy, changed my hair color a couple times, lost nearly 80 pounds and got a new tattoo and a couple of piercings.  It has been interesting, to say the least.

I started this blog to keep track of my musings, I have a lot going on in my head and sometimes it just helps to get it out.  Today, I guess I'll start with what is on my mind at the moment, the afforementioned piercings.

I got my nipples pierced yesterday.  You may think, "Why in THE hell would you want to do that?".  Well, I have always found it fascinating, but was always so deep in self loathing that I would not go get it done.  I could not stand the idea of taking my shirt off in front of a stranger and "letting it all hang out".  Yesterday, after months of telling myself that I have a body to be proud of, even if it still needs a little work, I did it.  I stood there, topless in front of not only a complete stranger, but also my sister in law.  It was strange, but not uncomfortable.  I think I have finally reached a place where I feel comfortable in my own skin, which is something I don't think I have ever been before.

My husband thinks I'm nuts.  He just doesn't get it.  Men walk around topless all the time.  Why would I want to pierce something that a very limited amout of people are going to see?  I've tried to explain that I don't get tattoos and piercings for other people to see.   They are for me.  An affirmation that I am living this life.  A story on (and embedded in) my skin.  My body is a book, and perhaps not everybody understands the language, but ask and I will translate. I will share my story.

I guess that's also why I decided to start a blog.

1 comment:

  1. You SHOULD be proud of all the changes and achievements and struggles you have overcome!! You are a warrior, girl!

    Look right above this comment, there is a little facebook "f"- click that and this will share to facebook. Copy your url and paste it into a loseit message, that is how I do it. This won't automatically post to lose it, but in your loseit profile, there is a place to paste the blog link. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete