Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Making of Harley Quinn, Part 1

So, my cousins kid is having a superhero sleepover.  Sounds like a fun idea.  All the kids are going to dress up in superhero pajamas and the adults (some of us) will be dressing as villians.  We are trying to stick to batman villians because they are the most easily recognizable.  I chose to do Harley Quinn (I hate cats, so Catwoman was out lol).  My husband is goin gto be Two-Face.   The kids are going to chase us around all day and basically try to end us.  We are supposed to be pelted with water balloons at the end of the night, so that should be a blast.

Here's the rub....how do I become Harley Quinn?  Well, I have a sewing machine.  I have red and black shirts.  I have scissors.  And idea is brewing. 

So today, I cut two shirts in half and sewed them together.  It turned out pretty ok.  Now I think I really can go about making a decent Harley outfit....it won't be exact, but I think I can manage something resembling her look.  I am pretty excited for it now!

For those of you with no idea, this is Harley Quinn:

Since I am not wearing long sleeves and a full body suit in May in Tx, I am having to modify it.  I am sticking to the color and diamond theme, but am going to try to make a convinceing outfit with what I have and not go to crazy with it.  This is my first EVER sewing project affter all!!

Here is phase one.  I have not decided if I want to hem up the longer shirt, leave it, or maybe cut the bottoms of both shirts into jagged points...any suggestions welcome:


Not a bad start, let me know what you think and where I should go from here....

2 comments:

  1. Plaid school-girl skirt or shorts. work boots. red and black socks. put hair in pig-tails. spray-dye one side black, the other red.

    I actually designed an urban,punkish gory Harley for Halloween. The mask was carved into the skin! Too scary for the kids though

    You can do this Molly.

    Remember rule 1 with costumes... what do you have? Look around.

    a tip: put the face paint on wearing the shirt. See what it looks like. You might get some ideas.

    Green Lantern would be easy btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are the only super heros and they are going in thier PJ's. I will have find paint. I was totally going to do the pigtails, most likely with spray dye instead of just leaving it. So far I have just been using what I have (with the exception of the actual sewing machine, but we didn't just buy it for this project). I like the idea of plaid skirt or shorts. I have red tights too, but I'm not sure if I want to use them or not. Thanks for the ideas! I didn't know what to do for the bottom half!!

    ReplyDelete